Sword Health AND THE SDGs
3.8 Achieve universal health coverage, including financial risk protection, access to quality essential health-care services and access to safe, effective, quality and affordable essential medicines and vaccines for all.
3.C Substantially increase health financing and the recruitment, development, training and retention of the health workforce in developing countries, especially in least developed countries and small island developing States .
8.3 Promote development-oriented policies that support productive activities, decent job creation, entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation, and encourage the formalization and growth of micro-, small- and medium-sized enterprises, including through access to financial services.
- Understanding the context
- Musculoskeletal diseases affect 1.7 billion people worldwide, being responsible for almost 30 percent of all years lived with disability and affecting around (Global Burden of Disease, 2013).
- There are around 230 million new cases of Musculoskeletal diseases annually, with a corresponding high demand on rehabilitation services.
- There is a shortage of Physical Therapists, this gap in the US is of 30.000 professionals, according to Forbes, in China is of 300.000 therapists, which means there is a huge gap between patient needs and the system capability to provide physical rehabilitation.
- A Physical Therapist has an annual cost of $80.000
- On average, a patient has access to 3 hours of rehabilitation a week
- The response in facts from SWORD Phoenix
Till June of 2018, more than 927 patients were rehabilitated using SWORD Phoenix technology. It providided more than 242,760 minutes of therapy.
- 60 patients attributed a high score of satisfaction with SWORD Phoenix (regarding their wellbeing) 9.12 when 10.0 is the highest.
- Other surveys and studies proved that with only four weeks of SWORD Phoenix, the patients show a 28% decrease in their pain level, a 21% increase in vitality and 19% increase in their social function.
- SWORD Phoenix performs an in-depth analysis of each patient’s recovery process. Comparing to the traditional approach, SWORD Phoenix gathers and analysis 153 times more data.
- Surveys with patients using SWORD Phoenix showed that they have an adherence rate of 91% proving that the patients are fully engaged in their rehabilitation program and don’t want to miss their sessions.
- SWORD Phoenix has an annual cost of 6% oft he annual cost of a Physical Therapist.
- SWORD Phoenix facilitated the convenience of patients because they no longer need move to the rehabilitation centers. Till the end of 2017, 259,991.76 km were saved. That reflectes in time and in financial resources spent by patients.
- 41.856 physiotheraphy sessions totalling 637.276 minutes in the reabilitation process of patients.
- All the physiotherapists working in Portugal, US and Australia perceived improvements in their career thanks to the new practices and the knowledge that SWORD Health brought to them.
THEORY OF CHANGE
Sword Health’s ultimate impact is to contribute to patients’ physical and mental wellbeing through physiotherapy-rehabilitation increased efficiency and inclusivity opportunities.
The ultimate impact of Sword Phoenix will contribute to patients’ physical and mental recovery with increased quality of life. Concrete results registred that more than 822 patients were rehabilitated using SWORD Phoenix, where these patients showed a 28% decrease in their pain level, a 21% increase in vitality and 19% increase in their social function comparing to the traditional reabilitation approaches.
SWORD Phoenix, a service of SWORD HEALTH is changing the rehabilitation paradigm by better supporting patients and re-signifying the relationship between therapists, doctors and patients.
Quality physical therapy services to post-surgical patients or those suffering from a chronic injury has been challenging costs are very high for patients and families, creating a significant global underserved population. SWORD Health is a specialist provider of physical therapy services and is making this essencial service available for those who need.